THE TESTING - book review (very minor spoilers possible!)

BEFORE I BEGIN I really tried not to spoil this book in this review, but tread carefully. I think any spoilers included are innocuous and don't really say anything not on the back of the book :)

What it's about:
๐˜›๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜š๐˜ฆ๐˜ท๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜š๐˜ต๐˜ข๐˜จ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด ๐˜ž๐˜ข๐˜ณ ๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ๐˜ง๐˜ต ๐˜ฎ๐˜ถ๐˜ค๐˜ฉ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ญ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ๐˜ต ๐˜ข ๐˜ค๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ธ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ญ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ. ๐˜›๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ง๐˜ถ๐˜ต๐˜ถ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฃ๐˜ฆ๐˜ญ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜จ๐˜ด ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ๐˜น๐˜ต ๐˜จ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ’๐˜ด ๐˜ค๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ง๐˜ฆ๐˜ธ ๐˜ธ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ถ๐˜ด๐˜ต ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฃ๐˜ถ๐˜ช๐˜ญ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ช๐˜ต. ๐˜‰๐˜ถ๐˜ต ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ด ๐˜ฆ๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ฆ ๐˜จ๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ฑ, ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ๐˜ช๐˜ฅ๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ด ๐˜ฎ๐˜ถ๐˜ด๐˜ต ๐˜ง๐˜ช๐˜ณ๐˜ด๐˜ต ๐˜ฑ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ด ๐˜›๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜›๐˜ฆ๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ—๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ช๐˜ณ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ค๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ค๐˜ฆ ๐˜ข๐˜ต ๐˜ข ๐˜ค๐˜ฐ๐˜ญ๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ๐˜จ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ๐˜ถ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ข ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ธ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ฅ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ.
๐˜Š๐˜ช๐˜ข ๐˜๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ช๐˜ด ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฃ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ค๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ข๐˜ด ๐˜ข ๐˜›๐˜ฆ๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ๐˜ช๐˜ฅ๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ฆ; ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜จ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ท๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ธ๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด๐˜ด ๐˜ข๐˜ด ๐˜ข ๐˜œ๐˜ฏ๐˜ช๐˜ท๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ด๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜บ ๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ถ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ต ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ง๐˜ถ๐˜ต๐˜ถ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ฅ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜œ๐˜ฏ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ ๐˜Š๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ธ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ. ๐˜‰๐˜ถ๐˜ต ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฆ๐˜ท๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฑ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ต๐˜ถ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ, ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ง๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ’๐˜ด ๐˜ข๐˜ฅ๐˜ท๐˜ช๐˜ค๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜ต๐˜ด ๐˜ข๐˜ต ๐˜ข ๐˜ฅ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ฌ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ด๐˜ช๐˜ฅ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ถ๐˜ฑ๐˜ค๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ถ๐˜ฅ๐˜ช๐˜ฆ๐˜ด--๐˜ต๐˜ณ๐˜ถ๐˜ด๐˜ต ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ. 
 ๐˜‰๐˜ถ๐˜ต ๐˜ด๐˜ถ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ญ๐˜บ ๐˜ด๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ฏ ๐˜ต๐˜ณ๐˜ถ๐˜ด๐˜ต ๐˜›๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ข๐˜ด, ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ๐˜ด๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ค๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ญ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ง๐˜ณ๐˜ช๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ธ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง๐˜ง๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ด ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ค๐˜ฆ? ๐˜›๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ข๐˜ด, ๐˜ธ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฎ๐˜ด ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ข๐˜ฃ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ต ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ฉ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ด๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜ฆ๐˜ท๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜บ ๐˜จ๐˜ณ๐˜ถ๐˜ฆ๐˜ญ๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ (๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ฅ๐˜ญ๐˜บ) ๐˜ฅ๐˜ข๐˜บ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜›๐˜ฆ๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ. ๐˜›๐˜ฐ ๐˜ด๐˜ถ๐˜ณ๐˜ท๐˜ช๐˜ท๐˜ฆ, ๐˜Š๐˜ช๐˜ข ๐˜ฎ๐˜ถ๐˜ด๐˜ต ๐˜ค๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฐ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ: ๐˜ญ๐˜ฐ๐˜ท๐˜ฆ ๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ต ๐˜ต๐˜ณ๐˜ถ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ ๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ง๐˜ฆ ๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ต ๐˜ต๐˜ณ๐˜ถ๐˜ด๐˜ต.
*
Basically, the set-up of the book is she wants a chance to go to college and make a difference but it turns out her chance is really a giant sadistic death trap. 
I was really looking forward to this book. Brain games? Yes. Dystopia? Yes. Danger? Of course.
Did this book disappoint me?
Well, to put it shortly, yes, it did.
*
I have mixed feelings about this book. I liked parts of it, but other parts of it I--I just hated. For organization, I'll split this up into three sections: plot, characters, and overall readability.
*
PLOT - 3/5 ⭐
This story is nothing if not creative. It's very suspenseful and action-packed, but at times, lacking. By that I mean that it almost felt like a Hunger Games knock-off, which took it down to 4 stars. I then knocked it down to three due to lack of flow. Let me elaborate: the Testing is for the brightest in the bunch. While agility is important, brains take priority. But, the process itself--the one that takes up the majority of the book--focuses on agility and fighting more than wit and wisdom, which almost felt sloppy. Another reason it is at three stars is the (not-really-a-spoiler-because-it's-implied-on-the-back-of-the-book) romance between Cia and Tomas. They had almost NO chemistry besides the author's many attempts to nudgy-nudge-nudge them together. The last reason why the book is only at three stars is because many times during my read of this, I wanted the book to be over. It dragged on for too long.
HOWEVER, the reason it did NOT earn less than three stars is because of the suspense and the twisty ending. Throughout the book, I did find myself reading with bated breath. Especially towards the end. The end of the book was good enough that I may force myself to read the next ones.
*
CHARACTER - 3/5 ⭐

Let me start with Cia. Her full name is Malencia Vale (yikes), but she goes by Cia.
Ah, Cia.
She was a little bit of a Mary Sue. I found myself frustrated with her--mostly because I felt she was being dumb and too trusting. The latter of those is a great character flaw, however, that she does face in the book. Overall, her character was pretty consistent, even if I didn't like her all the time. A major complaint I have is she was a bit helpless--she depended on Tomas too much for my taste--almost to where she didn't even feel like an independent person. It seemed like she was supposed to be a strong female character, but in execution, she was a little weak overall. I felt like she made some stupid choices, but what main character doesn't, really? (If they don't, are they even a main character?)

Moving on to Tomas, her handsome childhood friend (and love interest).

This guy.

To me, he came off like he was Mr. Perfect, which isn't my favorite character to read--especially when the main character is a female who hangs on every word he says and follows him around like a puppy. Through the whole thing, he always somehow knows exactly what to do, and Cia seems like she would follow this guy to the ends of the Earth. But, halfway through the book, I got this weird vibe from him--like he was up to no good. Was he? Well, I suppose you'll just have to read it to find out ๐Ÿ˜‰ (or you can just look it up if you don't want to ๐Ÿ˜‚)

And, as I previously mentioned, the romantic subplot felt...ugh. I like a romantic subplot when it is done right, and this just... wasn't. I cringed every time the two shared a kiss. (I also maintain that this death maze wasn't really the best place for the two to kiss excessively, because when you're focusing on trying to stay alive, should you also be wasting time casually kissing? irresponsible)
This category only earns a three due to the lack of development and relationship between the characters. However, the most redeeming quality for this category is Cia's consistency in her hubris--handing out her trust like candy.

Lastly, side characters, though they had much less "screen time," were decently characterized. Some were murderous. Some weren't. Each of the side characters had their own stories, voices, and personalities.
*
OVERALL READABILITY: 3/5 ⭐

This was...disappointing. I had built this book up to be amazing, but was met with what (to me) felt like a Maze Runner/Hunger Games hybrid. I came across one grammatical error, which was no more unpleasant than my other complaints. I despised the romance between Cia and Tomas because it felt completely forced and artificial, leading me to question Tomas' integrity (but I still don't know if that was intentional or not--I will maybe have to read the next ones and see). I walked into this book expecting a dystopia with a little bit of romance, but was ambushed with a 50/50 story of dystopia and romance. Characters felt weak at times, but I did admire how Charbonneau kept Cia's flaw of naivete consistent, because I, in my own writing, struggle to make my characters have one major flaw that continues to sabotage them.
*
OTHER THOUGHTS ABOUT THE TESTING
1. The names in this book are...yikes. Malencia? Daileen? Tracelyn? what
2. But on the eve of her departure, her father hints at a darker side to her upcoming studies. Really, Dad? You're going to tell her now? ๐Ÿ™„ that is thoroughly unhelpful.
3. I really got a strange vibe from Tomas from the back of the book, and from the romance. Something seems artificial on his end.
4. The ending was actually really good and very suspenseful, where you know SOMETHING is about to happen and you just need it to happen. 
Still wasn't good enough to undo the rest of the book, but it was pretty good.
*
That about wraps it up, folks. Have you read The Testing? What did you think? Do you want to read it? Comment below or on Instagram! 


Comments

popular posts

Hello!

A Very, Very Necessary Amy March Appreciation Post

CARAVAL book review!